Hi, everyone. I'm Fidel Parks and I'm doing my Honours in Gender Studies in environmental feminisms and decolonial/indigenous conservation. My knowledge of and interest in the topics are fairly recent in that I was only exposed to them last year, at the end of my undergrad. I did my Bachelors of Science in Biology and Gender Studies. It was in a conservation biology course where I was taught both about the colonial history and the indigenous future of conservation and in a gender course where I was taught about the importance of gendered approaches in climate justice and thus the importance of environmental feminisms. While these courses overlapped slightly in content, they differed extremely in approach. Biology didn't care much for indigenous conservation beyond name-dropping and a few anecdotes whereas Gender Studies' focus on how women were more heavily affected didn't extend far enough to really explain in what ways participation in conservation, indigenous or...
How reproduction became central to governing the economy My book is called the Economization of life , and it explores reproduction and population control through the lens of the economy, capitalism, fiscal policies, and GDP. It introduces us to John Maynard Keynes. Keynes is a Cambridge economist who helped to bring macroeconomy into the world through his 1936 text The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money text. The Keynesian revolution is believed to have brought the invention of new terminology and units of analysis in economics. His stance on microeconomic would help govern capitalism and ensure that it maximises employment and wealth while minimising crashes and suffering. The aim of the economy is to use fiscal policies to control inflation, bring down unemployment and stimulate investment and Keynes theory plans against poverty and prepares for war and uses state spent money to build infrastructure such as roads, bridges, and immigration. Keynes considered eugeni...
In our seminar this week, we deeply explored the topic of populationism. To frame my understanding, I used the reading: A feminist exploration of populationism: engaging in contemporary forms of population control . I will begin by providing my understanding of populationism; secondly, i will address how my research interest ties into populationism and lastly, i will explore populationism through the creative work - What Happened to Monday. In the late 20th century, population control had become a solution to what was understood as the global concern of overpopulation. This concern had become so widespread that the proposed solution of population control had received attention and financial support from powerful institutions globally. This threat had become so worrisome that it affected laws and policies of some countries and had even permeated through pop culture The use of the term populationism aims to bring attention to the various ways of discussing and comprehending th...
Comments
Post a Comment